It is common knowledge that in the business world, "Dress for the job you want, not for the one you have". It is a well known fact that when you look at a person for the first time, you notice how they are dressed, which is basically the first impression of anyone.
In the business world, it is very important to dress properly and attractively for several reasons. One of the main reasons to dress appropriately for the workplace is that it gives a visual image and gives that impression that the person is professional. . Over the years, clothing trends have changed so much that people have forgotten what is appropriate work clothes.
Scientists from Columbia University and Cal State Northridge recently examined the impact of clothing on their thoughts. The results showed that wearing formal wear can free people from concrete thinking while strengthening their ability to think in a more practical way.
Reasons to dress up to succeed:
There are many reasons why we should always dress in an attractive way:
• It makes a good impression: the first impression of a person says a lot about the question, so it is very important to leave a good impression on the person you meet for the first time, if you are dressed for a interview or a business meeting, this tends to make a bad impression and the people around you would consider you unprofessional and would never take you seriously.
• Increases self-confidence: When you're stylishly dressed, it automatically boosts your self-confidence, allowing you to improve your day and performance at your workplace.
• Promotes self-confidence: If you take the time, effort and pride to dress well, you will undoubtedly give an image of respect for yourself and self-esteem. People will see you and think positively about you. When people see you in your clean and fitting clothes, they will judge you worthy of their time and their company.
• Helps to stay productive: It's easy to wear sport pants and a t-shirt, but once in your comfort zone, you start to feel lazy. However, when you are formally dressed, you look good, you feel good and you will be more motivated to get things done and be more productive.
• This gives a competitive advantage: dressing to impress gives you a competitive advantage. Not only to find a job, it can also help you start a new business or close a potential sale. A strong first impression leaves a lasting impression. When you dress well, it shows that you are taking care of yourself and now you are ready to take care of your clients.
How to dress to succeed:
One of the biggest questions these days is: how to dress for success? The answer to this question is that it is very important to have a powerful professional wardrobe that will take you on the road to success. One must keep in mind some tips when shopping for your professional wardrobe. Those are:
1. Get inspired: Seasonal changes are the perfect time to press the pause button and let yourself be inspired! Take the time to browse the magazines, get downtown, surf the web and be inspired by the change of natural style that comes with the seasons.
2. Choose your colors: Color is one of the easiest ways to update your wardrobe and yet it's so easy to get stuck. Opt for the seasonal color. Get engaged in a narrow palette of novelty. Just one or two new colors are going a long way.
3. Be comfortable: try to feel the need to dress in a certain way when you are under pressure for a big meeting. Comfort breeds confidence. Wearing what you feel comfortable with will have a positive impact on your ability to show you as your best.
4. Shop Smart: After taking inventory of your existing wardrobe, identify gaps and make purchases with clear intent. This approach will save you from shopping and allow you to customize many looks.
There is a non-profit organization called "Dress for Success" which provides low-income women with professional attire to help them in their job search and maintenance process. Founded in 1997 by Nancy Lublin, this organization has since expanded from Harlem, New York, to 79 cities in the United States and around the world in 2004, reaching approximately 45,000 clients each year in 2006, and now serves 850,000 women out of 140 locations. The current CEO of the parent organization is Joi Gordon. The organization's approach is based on social research suggesting that appropriate dress is important for "impression training", which has an impact on job prospects.
Now a global organization, Dress for Success Worldwide supports its programs through a combination of grants, government grants, fundraising events and campaigns. In 2013, the parent organization received funding of more than $ 17 million, of which more than 99% came from direct contributions from individuals, corporations and non-governmental organizations.